Friday, June 19, 2009

DREAM TEAM

  I became an  artist so I could work alone. I've always been a bit of a control freak. And why the fuck not? I know what I'm doing and I know what I want and how to do it.....that is most of the time. In fact it wasn't until the 80's that I was forced to admit that i couldn't do it all. It came as quite a shock. But then I realized that relinquishing a bit of control to others could be rather satisfying. And when one goes into  full on collaborative mode all kinds of good shit happens.
   Now, as in all collaborative projects, what matters most is who you are working with. When I started MO DAVID GALLERY my "stable" included Tony Labat, Karen Finley, Tony Oursler, Les Levine, Robin Winters, David Ireland, Stelarc, Katherine Sherwood, and others. When I started my band PURPLE GEEZUS, it included guitar legend Jerry Williams and infamous rhythm section THE WORKDOGS (Rob Kennedy and Scott Jarvis). When I started my church THE LITTLE GREEN MAN it was with Carlo McCormick, THE WORK DOGS, organist Jerry Williams and a congregation of L.E.S. luminaries too vast to mention. But what has anyone done with me lately?
   Well, WSSP has been one of those tough projects made easier by having a great crew. First and foremost there is lead carpenter and right hand man Al Blanchard. Al can do it all and usually does. Al helped me put the steeple on the LGM church and wouldn't take a dime for it. I bought him a 12 ga. turkey gun. This year he shot his first tom with it. It had $100 tag on his leg. Payback. Then there's electrician Steve Snyder. He comes in bitches about the cold, cusses the neighbor, pulls a wire and gets the job done before you can turn around. Brother Bird is a hired gun, when I need him and new member Jason "the kid" K. is a plumber par excellent. Morris Cooper is my septic/shrink. Bill Goetz my well driller,  and of course who could forget my architect, designer and co-pilot Shewho. Dimensions? Who needs dimensions.  I can't say this bunch makes my life easy, but without them I'd never be able to do this one. They are the dream team. Gotta wreck of a house you want to save? Call me. Bring it on.     

No comments:

Post a Comment