Monday, May 18, 2009

BUYER BEWARE

The first engineer I called about doing a site plan for the property said that. "Buyer beware." he monotoned. He said it was impossible on a less than a half acre lot to engineer well and septic. He said I'd bought a worthless piece of property. That was unacceptable. Needless to say I did not hire that engineer. The next engineer, who did do the plans wasn't much more encouraging. And he cost $2500. Almost from day one I knew this could be a terrible mistake. Not only did I drop 30k, over the past two years I have poured my, and now Samm's money into this project. Not to mention a lot of sweat equity.
The next stop was the NY State Board of Health. The man there was more encouraging. He gave me some key phrases. "Upgrading existing systems." he said with a wink. I told him a cold water spring line came in the kitchen..."That's your well!" he said cutting me off gleefully. I told him the septic was still a mystery. He didn't seem that concerned. "We like to work with people." He smiled, shook my hand and showed me the door. I went forward.

Looking back on this now, maybe I should've eaten the $30,000 and moved on. Naw.

-MO

No comments:

Post a Comment